Wednesday 15 May 2013

George Michael - Older

George's third album was released in May 1996 and hit the number 1 position straight away. It spawned 6 singles that all reached the top 3 in the UK in 1996 - 1997. It was such an adult album for him, gone are the pop songs from the past and in came more serious pop tunes, with more of a darker and sad feel to the songs. Also I have always thought, it was George's coming out album, with references to one night stands in Fastlove, affairs and Russian roulette in Spinning The Wheel, also the way he began to dress was pushing towards the gay scene. Strings were brought in to contribute to he new sound as well as a jazz feel to some of the tracks. Released on Virgin records it became the labels fastest selling album ever and to date has sold just under 2 million copies in in Britain.

The first single to be released off the album was Jesus To A Child, which if I am honest I didn't like when it was a single but I grew to love as an album track. It was the next single and the great video for Fastlove that I really liked. It's a track I never get tired of listening to, a real feel good number! The next single was Spinning The Wheel which got to number 2 as girl power was just starting up here and the Spice Girls stopped it getting to number 1. Older was released in early 1997 with new tracks added and one of my fave tracks was I Can't Make You Love Me which I thought should have been a single on it's own. It was recorded live and the audience was dubbed off the track that was on the Older single and went to number 3. Star People 97 had a remix to push it to number 2 and the final single was You Have Been Loved which came with The Sweetest Thing 97, another remixed track which also got to number 2.

I've listened to the album myself when I've been really down, listened to it in the dark with just the music for company and I just love it. It's the only George Michael album I really like, I bought the follow up but it wasn't a patch on this although there was a couple of good tracks on it. If you get a chance to have a listen to it, I recommend it as it is such a good listen, if you already have the album, dig it out and give it another listen, you'll enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment