Saturday 13 October 2012

Tom Robinson Band - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 Motorway

Tom Robinson formed the band in 1976 and within a few months of gigging and riding the current wave of Punk music, the band were spotted by EMI Records and within a few short months of forming, they had a record deal and 2-4-6-8 Motorway was the band's debut single. It was released in October 1977 and managed to climb up to number 5 and earn the band a silver disc. It is one of those singles with the chug along beat and singalong chorus that still makes the single a great listen today and is featured on many of the driving compilation cd's that get released every so often. They released several singles afterwards, but nothing was successful as this one, the debut album was a hit but never contained the single, they managed another album before the band split in 1979.

My memory of this single was of a late Saturday night listening to the very missed Radio Luxembourg, with a mono earpiece connected to a radio. I shared my bedroom with my younger brother and couldn't listen to the radio until he had gone to sleep, then I had my chance to listen to the stations chart, which I heard this gem on, as the frequency kept drifting in and out, something you no longer get in this age of digital broadcasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment